Tuesday, May 20, 2014

LIVE YOUR DREAM

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE?


Lauren Bacall said: Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.

That remind a story by Rev. Teri Johnson in the book CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE WOMAN'S SOUL by Jack Canfield: I had one of those serendipitous moments a few weeks ago. I was in the bedroom changing one of the babies when our five-year-old, Alyssa, came and plopped down beside me on the bed.
"Mommy, what do you want to be when you grow up?" she asked.
I assumed she was playing some little imaginary game, and so to play along I responded with, "H"mmmmm. I think I would like to be a mommy when I grow up."
  "You can't be that 'cause you already are one. What do want to be?"
  "Okay, maybe I will be a pastor when I grow up," I answered a second time.
  "Mommy, no, you're already one of those!"
  "I'm sorry, honey," I said, "but I don't understand what I'm supposed to say then."
  "Mommy, just answer what you want to be when you grow up. You can be anything you want to be!"
   At that point I was so moved by the experience that I could not immediately respond, and Alyssa gave up on me and left the room.
  That experience-that tiny five-minute experience- touched a place deep within me. I was touched because in my daughter's young eyes, I could still be anything I wanted to be! My age, my present career, my five children, my husband, my bachelor's degree, my master's degree: none of that mattered. In her young eyes I could still dream dreams and reach for stars. In her young eyes my future was not over. in her young eyes I could still be an astronaut or a piano player or opera singer, perhaps. In her young eyes I still had some growing to do and a lot of "being" left in my life.
  The real beauty in that encounter with my daughter was when I realized in all honesty and innocence, she would have asked the very same question of her grandparents and of her great-grandparent.
 It has been written, "The old woman I shall become will be quite different from the woman I am now. Another I is beginning..."
 So... what do you want to be when you grow up?


.   What Do you Think?
  • How Do you Feel?
  • What Will You Do?
  • What is Your Opinion?
  • What is Your Story?
  • What is Your Experience or Example?
  • What Have you Been Working On?
  •                                                                                                                                                                                                  



    No comments: